Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Plan B


On average, I sell three Plan B's at work a week. If you are not familiar with Plan B, it is also referred to as the morning after pill or the generic version is called Next Choice. It's always exciting when someone comes in to buy one. The girls are almost always the same. They have this scared, anxious look in their eyes that scream, "Hurry, get me the pill! I don't want to have a baby!"

Today a girl came in and said, "Can I get like that Plan B thing?" I laughed inside. Did she really just ask for it like that? She wants to lay low, although I think that deep inside she is praying that this Plan B thing will do the trick.

I always want to ask after they pay the $54.88, "Well, was it worth it?" Seems like a punch in the stomach to have to fork out that money for just one night of fun. Without control, images play through my mind. Did they use a condom? Did it break? Has it been fourteen days since her period? Is she ovulating? Has it been more than 72 hours since you've had sex? Is he paying half? Somehow I find myself praying with them: I hope it works for you too.

However, it's the younger ones that I don't pray for as hard. Especially the ones that come through the drive through. If you're old enough to have sex (which some of them are barely 17), then you should be old enough to walk your little hiney in the store and buy that like Plan B thing. I have this animosity towards the younger girls. I feel like if they are going to play with fire than maybe they deserve to get pregnant. Yet, $54.88 is not much in the big picture. It's a lot cheaper than having a baby which the delivery alone is $10,000 (or so I've heard). It's also better to prevent a teenage mother from having a baby that she doesn't even want and that she won't even care for. And hopefully after sacrificing sixty bucks, they'll learn their lesson or at least get on birth control.

On the bright side, I've never sold the pill to the same girl twice, so maybe it works. Nor have I seen a girl who I've sold the pill to come in with a baby nine months later. After handing the girls the receipt, I always wish to humorously say, "Let me know if it worked!" Of course I bite my tongue because I have to have good customer service, but I add it to just one of the fun events in the pharmacy.

3 comments:

  1. haha i love you macy. This seems pretty crazy that it happens so frequently in perfect lil Rexburg! It is so sad how young alot of these girls are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really interesting. And you're interspersed thoughts were hilarious and fantastic.

    What's sad is that they don't even know if they got pregnant or not because it is only the morning after, so they may just be flushing $54.88 down the toilet and living in fear.

    But if I walked into your office all panicked and worried, your beautiful face and sweet, comfortable demeanor would be the best thing for me =) You really are perfect for that job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha well I don't know if the "like .. plan B thingie" worked for those girls, as far as being scared enough for having to use it that they no longer had sex, BUT if I were one of those girls and I needed that "thingie" again I surely would not go to the same pharmacy!

    ReplyDelete